Clark, Andy. Natural Born Cyborgs: Minds, Technologies, and the Future of Human Intelligence. Oxford: New York, 2003.
Clark argues the idea of humans as natural cyborgs. Clark wants to make the point that human beings unlike other animals, have the ability to extend their intelligence and brain power beyond the limits of their skin. Clark suggests that our brains were created in such a way to seek outside intelligence. For example, when dealing with evolution our brains are geared toward collaborating with "external non biological sources of order to better solve the problems of survival and reproduction" (Clark, 5)
Clark's goal in this book is to change the modern concept of cyborgs. The modern idea of cyborg is that of man merging with some sort of electronic circuitry. Clark's goal is to reshape that image "revealing it as a disguised vision of our biological nature." (Clark, 5)
Clark continues to elaborate on his idea by trying to convince the reader to look at technology not as an extension of nature, but look at the brain and its ability to understand technology. The ability for the brain to take in such information does not involve wires or implants but our openness to process.
I think Clark has something going here. I do think there has to be a reason other than the thumb for humans to be so far advanced beyond other animals. The brain as our key to survival makes sense. We clearly are designed differently. Technology is after all only here because of the human mind. We have to go back to Darwin and survival of the fittest. Technology, although it seems inhumane is part of human evolution, those not willing to learn will eventually become obsolete. Like the human appendix they will just sit there not contributing to society and eventually be lost.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Emmele:
The thumb, came to mind last evening when I was thinking about what gives us dominance on earth. It has to be more than that although if we studied and treated chimpanzees and gorillas with care and respect would we discover even more 'intelligence' in their community or could we foster further evolutionary progress?
I do agree with Clark that as humans our brains are geared to improving our environment. Clark definitely gave a more clear interpretation of what cyborgs are. I also agree with you that in order to survive in the world now and in the future you will have to adapt to technology.
Greetings Emmele,
"Clark's goal is to change the modern concept of cyborg." Personally I just recently, this Fall 2007, ever heard of cyborg, or should I say if I heard it I never gave the word cyborg any thought whatsoever. I have a better understanding today, that we are all cyborgs according to Andy Clark. We can't escape it but, as you point out it is a disguised vision of perception as we (society) put to use the advanced technology.
Would you believe the only text message I ever send (out) is 'ok'. I have upgraded to 'yes' and 'no'. That's pretty impressive, right? The only reason I learned those messages was my the 16 year old daughter demanded I respond to her text messages. She would text me while she was in class to find out if I was outside her school and what door to pick her up at. Her messages always had to be opened ended questions. I takes me so long to find the letters then press the letters in order. By the time I get the correct letters the message erases. But, I'm happy to report more progress has been made. LOL!
Post a Comment